Sunday, February 12, 2012

Recipe Debut: Pink Lemon Cupcakes

On top of exploring restaurants and foods, Amy and I also like to bake, so be on the lookout for more recipes!

Being the festive person I am, I wanted to bake some Valentine's Day themed cupcakes. Instead of making traditional icing topped cupcakes, I decided to step out of my comfort zone and look up recipes that were more challenging. After scouring the internet, I came across a cupcake recipe that I really liked and decided to share in lieu of the upcoming Valentine's Day.

This is very creative cupcake idea that I found on Just Jenn Recipes and instantly fell in love with! However, instead of making vanilla cupcakes from scratch, I used a box of chocolate cupcake mix that was sitting in my cupboard.

Source: Just Jenn Recipes


Pink Lemon Frosting Ingredients:
4 cups confectioners (icing) sugar, with some extra left aside for dusting the cupcake 
1/2 cup butter (softened)
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice 
2 tablespoons of milk
2 drops of red food colouring 

Tips:
1. you can also add grated lemon zest for a zesty taste

2. instead of using real lemons, I used lemon juice that I previously bought at the supermarket (pictured left). It makes things a lot easier and tastes just as good!
Decorating Instructions: 
(I skipped the baking instructions since I used pre-made cupcake mix)
1. In a mixing bowl, beat sugar and softened butter with an electric mixer. Add lemon juice and mix until combined. Then add milk and speed up the mixer until the mixture becomes light and fluffy. Add food colouring and mix until colour of the mixture is even. 

2. Once the cupcakes are cooled, use a knife and slice off the top of the cupcake right at the cupcake liner. Use a small heart shaped cookie cutter and cut out the center of the cupcake domes. Dust the tops with confectioners sugar. 
Source: Just Jenn Recipes

3. Take small scoops of the pink frosting and frost the top of the now flat cupcake. You can either make the frosting flat or make it into a mounding shape. I personally prefer the mounding shape because it sticks out of the heart and makes it look more three dimensional. 

4. Place cupcake tops back on and press down a little bit....and viola! 



I had a lot of fun making these heart cupcakes and received a lot of compliments from my friends! I really recommend this recipe, especially if you are an amateur baker like me. The recipe is fairly easy, but the resulting product look impressive, or "pro"!

Hope you found our first recipe post useful and happy early valentines day ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...