Monday, February 06, 2012

Check out La Amigo, my amigos!

I don't frequent La Amigo Restaurant, but every time I plan to eat here, I highly look forward to it. The place doesn't look like much, decor is normal and the service is mediocre. Actually, the first time I visited, the entire place was empty so I didn't expect much. However, I was pleasantly surprised. I've dined here a couple of times now, but I always order the same thing...that's just how good it is!

Lobster Chowder & HK Style Borscht & Garlic Bread
The Chef's Specials start off with a soup and some garlic toast. I was quite surprised to see lobster chowder as one of the soup options. I'm not a big fan of creamy soups but this was pretty good, and it had bits of real lobster floating around. I love HK style borscht...it's one of the main reasons why I love HK style restaurants. La Amigo's borscht is one of the best I've ever had. It has a very intense tomato flavor and is a tad spicy.

I usually leave the bread that comes with the soup untouched, but La Amigo's garlic bread is very, very good. The edges are nice and crispy, while the middle is oh-so-pillowy soft. It has a good amount of spread to achieve full flavor without making the bread soggy. I wish there were more pieces!

Lobster Paella $32.95 + tax
The Lobster Paella is very yummy. There are lots of juicy lobster chunks and the rice is very nice. It's sort of like a fried rice, but with various spices that taste quite exotic to me. Once you start eating it's hard to stop! Don't be intimidated by the relatively high price...there is an entire lobster in this dish and the portion is gigantic. It's great to share or to indulge yourself if you're extra hungry.


Blackened Cajun Chicken Legs with Spiced Tomato Cream Sauce
$15.95 + tax
This is what I always come for! I hear that it's quite popular and I'm not surprised. The chicken is always tender but the skin is so perfectly crispy. The sauce is what makes the dish...a little creamy, slightly tomato-y, a tad spicy and every bit delicious. I like to drench my rice in the sauce, so by the time I'm finished eating, the plate is usually squeaky clean.

Crepe
Lastly, we finished off with a little dessert. It was a pretty good crepe considering that it's just a bonus. The texture is soft and a little chewy. The whipped cream is fresh and not overly sweet. Sometimes the dessert will be a mango pudding, but I personally prefer the crepe.

*A hot drink is also included!

Although the prices for the Chef's Special may seem slightly higher than typical HK style dishes, but I feel it is well worth it. I am stuffed to the max and satisfied every time I leave La Amigo Restaurant.

La Amigo Restaurant (雅谷餐廳)
160-8291 Alexandra Road
Richmond, BC 

Taste: ★★★
Environment: ★☆☆
Service: ★★★☆☆
Price: $
La Amigo Restaurant 雅谷餐廳 on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...