Thursday, April 21, 2011

Buk Chang Dong Soon Tofu: Have You Ever Heard of Mind-Blasting Tofu?

The one reason why I love to go to Korean restaurants is that they always offer side dishes and many of them offer refills. I also like the fact that I get to choose the level of spiciness for my food.  

I have been to Toronto's Korea Town countless times but Buk Chang Dong Soon Tofu is a relatively new discovery.  It's a shame that I didn't find out about this place until a couple months ago, as it is known to serve the best tofu pots in town. But better late than never!

Now you're probably wondering where this mind-blasting tofu is...




Whenever I go to this restaurant, I always order the same thing - Kimchi Soon Tofu + Dolsotbab (김치순두부+돌솥밥), priced at $8 after tax. Basically, the set includes a pot of tofu stew with kimchi, beef, and pork in it, along with Korean "purple rice" in a stone pot. Once you get your tofu, the first step is to add the egg into the steaming stew so it will cook as you eat. The stew is extremely flavourful and the restaurant is very generous with ingredients. It's so good it just might blow your mind!

When you get the pot of rice, the server doesn't let you dig right in. He has to scoop the rice out of the stone pot and put it in a plastic bowl for you, while leaving a bit of rice sitting at the bottom of the pot. The last step the server does is add water into the stone pot, and then you eat the rice that's soaked in the water. I personally don't like the water and rice combination because there isn't much taste to it, but the people at the table beside me definitely enjoyed it.

The tofu stews at this place come in various combinations, so if you're a seafood fan, the Seafood Soon Tofu set would be a great choice. The soup base is essentially the same (aka just as yummy), but with different main ingredients. 

I went to Buk Chang Dong Soon Tofu last night because one of my friends was craving Bibimbap. The bibimbap, also priced at $8 after tax, comes with hot sauce and miso soup(I thought it was a Korean restaurant?). I've never ordered bibimbap, but after trying my friend's, I might consider ordering it the next time I go. This dish seems like a good choice if I'm really hungry and want to be health conscious and consume different types of vegetables in one meal.
The next time I go, I should probably remind myself not to have a big heavy backpack and thick jacket with me- I almost got stuck between two chairs cause the restaurant was so crowded! But then again, who would want to visit a restaurant with no one in it?


More photos:








Buk Chang Dong Soon Tofu
691 Bloor Street West
Toronto, ON

Taste: ★★★★★
Environment: ★★★☆☆
Service: ★★★

Price: $

Buk Chang Dong Soon Tofu on Urbanspoon
See blogs and businesses for Canada


11 comments:

  1. WOAHHHH!!! THAT TOFU IS MINDBLASTINGG!!!!
    MY BRAIN IS NOW DOU JIANG!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice pics :D
    theyre making me salivate like mad

    ReplyDelete
  3. HEY this is where we went right?? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. omggg lulu!!!
    im so hungry right now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i just read about this place yesterday! and today you wrote about it i think its a sign!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The friend has a name! Also. Next time I go to SOON TOFU I'm FUCKING GETTING TOFU.

    :)

    We can go bibimbap somewhere else.

    When would you like to review JOONS? :):)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i guess....someone's mind wasn't blown by bibimbap cuz its not MIND BLASTING bibimbap like the TOBU =P

    ReplyDelete
  8. food here is amazing, good job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've tried the North York location and now I shall head down to dt to try the bloor one! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...