Sunday, May 29, 2011

A Taste of Mama's Dumplings

Not having to live at home is great and fun, but I'm sure many of you would agree with me that not having mom's home-cooked food sucks. But don't get me wrong, living away from home is definitely a great experience and hey, restaurants like Mother's Dumplings can (temporarily) make up for the lack of homemade food!
Pork and Bak Choi Pan Fried Dumplings  豬肉白菜鍋貼 $6.95 
I used to wave off the idea of eating at dumpling restaurants because I feel like when I go out to eat, I want to go for food that I cannot make at home. The dumplings at Mother's Dumplings definitely changed my thinking. The thickness of the skin was just right and the meat inside was juicy. The dumplings and other pastry dishes are all hand made in their open kitchen, which is probably why they taste so good.

Chives and Eggs Filled Pancake 韭菜盒子  $5.49
I was especially interested in the pancakes pictured above. I've eaten this kind of pancake many times, but I've never seen ones that were so green. I thought the pancakes were just overly filled with chives, but it turns out that interesting enough, the dough of these pancakes were actually green. I hope it wasn't just food colouring.
Xiao Long Bao 小籠包 $6.10
I don't know if it was because the dumplings and pancakes brought up the standards, but I was a little disappointed by the XLBs. I thought the skin was too thick and it wasn't as filled with soup as I had hoped.
Da-Lu Noodles 打滷麵  $6.70
After the XLBs let me down, the noodles made it all the better. The noodles were handmade as well and were very chewy. The soup was extremely flavourful, especially after I added some seasoning to it. Also, the soup was filled with ingredients! If you ever go alone, this bowl of noodles will be more than enough.

I had a pleasant experience here because the food tasted great and they also arrived to our table really fast. The only downside was that the waiters were a bit non-responsive.

Mother's Dumplings 
421 Spadina Avenue 
Toronto, ON

Taste: ★★★★
Environment: ★★★☆☆
Service: ★
Price: $
Mother's Dumplings on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

  1. yummmyummyumm! the chives and egg pancakes look like they're exploding with chives! the green is seeping through the flour <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. DA LU TANG!!! a must-get with dumplings of any sort!!!!
    and i never knew chives = 韭菜.. learned yess

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know they were called chives either. One can always learn so much from Chinese restaurant menus haha

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...