Monday, April 02, 2012

Not Quite ImPrestoned...

In an attempt to move out of my comfort zone in Downtown Vancouver, I rounded up a couple of friends and headed over to Prestons. The interior is very modern chic, but it did kind of remind me of the casual dining chains like Joey's. Despite the modern decor, we were seated at this sort of tree-table, which to me kind of stuck out like a sore thumb. It basically looked like somebody had sliced a tree lengthwise and made it into a countertop. Anyways, enough about the decor, onto the food!

Free Range Chicken $21
The free range chicken was very tasty! The chicken itself was nice and juicy but the thing I enjoyed the most was the risotto. Although I'm not a fan of creamy foods, the butternut squash and truffle risotto was very nicely done -- buttery with a hint of sweetness.




Chicken Penne $15
Whenever there's pasta on the menu, I can never resist myself from ordering it. This chicken penne was also very yummy. It had wonderful flavour and a good amount of toppings. I didn't think the portion was very big when I first saw it but I did feel full afterwards. The only complaint I had about this dish was that it was just a bit on the salty side.

Paper Boy Martini $9
For drinks I had the Paper Boy Martini, which contains gin, cassis, blueberry liqueur, muddled blueberries, mint and apple juice. I didn't really enjoy this because the mint was a little too much for me and it also slightly resembled cough syrup.







Vanilla Cheesecake $8
Ah, desserts, my favorite part of any meal. The vanilla cheesecake is a rich, decadent version with a generous helping of dark cherry compote. Its creaminess is nicely balanced out by the fruity sauce. I highly enjoyed this cheesecake and would say it's almost comparable to Cheesecake Etc!

Warm Banana Bread Pudding $8
I love bread pudding. I also love banana bread. Naturally, when I saw these two on the menu, together, I was ecstatic. Sadly, I was not impressed with this dessert. It was not moist like I expected although it did have that bouncy texture to it. In terms of flavour it was quite bland, with only a slight banana taste. 

All in all, I still enjoyed my dining experience at Preston's. The food had their hits and misses but overall nothing really wow-ed me. I most likely will not be returning, since their prices are a little on the steep side for what it is (especially when I know I can get better food elsewhere!) 

Taste: ★★★☆☆
Environment: ★★★★☆
Service: ★★★☆☆
Price: $$$

Prestons
1177 W Pender St.
Vancouver, BC
Prestons on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...